Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Engrish?

I can understand the difficulties of learning english.
Although I can speak it as naturally as anybody born here, someone that has to learn it from scratch can be incredibly difficult.  I've seen this first hand with my parents and extended family that have immigrated here.

Mr. Oh is preparing to write a TOEFL exam.
If nobody reading this has ever taken a TOEFL exam, let me tell right now, its hard!
It requires deep knowledge of english grammar.  I've looked at and attempted to help some people taking the exam with as much success as I had in high school english. In other words, very little.
Mr. Oh has asked for my help on occasion and I was happy to help him with some of the assignments or record some readings so that he may better understand the language and help him succeed in his English as a Second Language studies.  I've read some of his writings too which, aside from some technical and the obvious grammatical errors, were written in a satisfactory manner.
So onto what happened.
This morning I found Mr. Oh slept on the couch.  This is very unusual as I've never really seen him watch TV, let alone sit on the couch in the living room.
Today, Mr. Oh texts me this:


I think I get the gist of what he's trying to say.  I think....
Oh Mr. Oh......

1 comment: