Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Fashion

Mr. Oh can come across as being somewhat vain.  Not like vanity smurf vain, but someone who makes occasional judgments of things because it isn't aesthetically pleasing.  In other words, beauty is very important to him.
This morning, Mr. Oh was getting ready to go to school (ESL, which unfortunately he seems to have regressed in his skills with the language) when I heard him exclaim "Shit! Jameson".  What he means by that I have no idea.  I imagine he was attempting to get my attention.  Anyways, I respond and ask him to come into my room to find out what was stressing him out.
Let me describe Mr. Oh first as some context may be needed to understand the nature of his "misadventure".  Mr. Oh used to be a body builder. He's around 6' if I had to guess with a broad shouldered build.  He's definitely more fit then me.  He is well proportioned except for that of his head, which being Korean, is humongous (similar to mine).
I've seen Mr. Oh dress up before and everything he wears seems to be a tiny bit too tight for him to wear.  I think he's going for a European look, which unfortunately with his build cannot be pulled off. Rather he looks like a kid who has grown out of his clothes.  This look none so more then today.  He rushes into my room as I have a full length mirror wearing khakis which seem a little too tight, a blue striped button up shirt which seemed fine, and a navy blue blazer which he was busting out of.
Thinking about his whole outfit now, he looked like he was wearing hand-me downs from a boarding school. What was distressing him was that he realized somewhat that the blazer was too small, but rather then attribute it to small clothes, he attributes the smallness of the jacket to his growth in size.  Regardless, it looked small.  What he needed was regular length, but was wearing a short.  His butt was only half covered, if at that, out of the bottom of the jacket.  The shoulders were rounding out of the jacket because of his width and the front of the jacket where he buttoned it up was so tight that the buttons looked distressed.  I proceeded to explain to him the short-comings of the jacket in which he then responds that I don't know anything about style or fashion and that he was going for an "asian" look.  Mr. Oh is asian, but he is an atypically large asian.  Not large as in fat, but in muscularity and height.  I think what added to the "smallness" of his clothes are also his pants.  They seemed unusually tight.  I think its because of his large thighs from pumping iron.

I know nothing of fashion, but I think I have some sense of style.  I understand what I can pull off and look good in and what I can't wear, otherwise risking looking like well......Mr. Oh.
Regardless, off Mr. Oh went for higher learning in clothes that didn't fit.

What he was going for:


















What he kinda reminded me of:
















(man I love Chris Farley!)

No comments:

Post a Comment